“WSUSC” (the WASC Senior College and University Commission, formerly known as simply WASC, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges) is our regional accrediting organization. To retain our accreditation WSUSC requires us to demonstrate that we are taking real steps to fulfill a distinct mission, are measuring the success of those steps, and are using the results of those measurements to improve what we do.
Why is Accreditation Important to HSU?
Failing to retain our WSUSC accreditation would mean losing all federal financial aid and, along with it, many of our students. The accreditation process, however, is more than a mere administrative hurdle: it’s truly an opportunity for us to discuss what’s important to HSU, and to focus on reaching those goals.
Outcomes of an HSU Education:
By the time our students graduate they will have demonstrated…
- Effective oral and written communication
- Critical and creative thinking skills in acquiring a broad knowledge base, and applying it to complex issues
- The information literacy skills necessary to seperate signal from noise in our increasingly digital world
- Competence in a major area of study
- Appreciation for, and an understanding of, an expanded world perspective by engaging respectfully with a diverse range of individuals, communities, and viewpoints
Our graduates will be prepared to…
- Succeed in their chosen careers
- Take responsibility for identifying personal goals and practicing lifelong learning
- Pursue social justice, promote environmental responsibility, and improve economic conditions in their communities.
Inclusive Academic Excellence:
Humboldt State University remains committed to eliminating the achievement gap and providing a quality education to all students. Ensuring academic excellence for traditionally under-represented students in areas of student access, persistence, and graduation by embracing diversity as educational process central to academic success for all students.
Building a Culture of Evidence:
Humboldt State University must commit to collecting evidence of the successes and failures of its initiatives, and to utilize that evidence to support programs that contribute towards the success of our students, and to correct or move beyond programs that do not. This includes:
- Following through with initiatives to measure whether students are achieving the outcomes detailed above
- Engaging our academic programs in a cycle of self-review and continuous improvement
- Ensuring that the design of our General Education program serves to enhance the success of our students
- Identifying and eliminating the institutional obstacles to student success
What Processes are HSU Taking to Prepare for the Upcoming WSUSC Evaluation?
In the 15/16 Academic Year, the WSUSC Steering and Self-Study Committee (SSSC) completed the first phase of its work, reviewing the previous response from WSUSC and evaluating HSU's performance relative to their recommendations. The SSSC identified “High Priority” and “Low Performance” Criteria for Review (CFR); these criteria were then connected to HSU’s Strategic Plan Blueprint (SPB). This led to a series of priority recommendations to the Strategic Plan Coordinating Coomitte.
The SSSC has since been hard at work crafting the WSUSC Self-Study Report. The Self-Study Report is a frank evaluation of our University's progress towards WASC's previous recommendations as well as our strategic goals. The first rough draft of this document will be available for comment to the entire HSU community from November 14, 2016 to December 6th, 2016, at 5:00p.m. Your feedback will be critical in helping us craft the best possible case for the accreditation of our University. View the document and leave your feedback here.
The final report will be due to WSUSC by late July 2017.
The following Spring we will host a WSUSC Capacity and Preparatory Review team. This team will interview staff, faculty and students to see how well Humboldt State has developed the processes and resources we need to support our educational mission. The visiting team's report will be made available on this website.